Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Get Up! Get Set and Getting Them Crackin!

Sometimes simple means the world to a little girl.

It's Saturday morning and my 3 year old daughter is pulling over her small desk chair to the counter, her excitement is apparent. She grabs the stainless steel mixing bowl I've left on the counter and now she's ready to get cracking! I hand her over the first egg to remove from it's shell. She hits the edge of the mixing bowl a little too lightly and I tell her to give it another shot. "OK Daddy" she replies. This time she hit's it and splits it. She digs her thumb in and watches as the egg drops into the mixing bowl. We do another one for her baby sister and then I had over the whisk, she starts her hand in a circular motion, all the while asking "Like this Daddy!". I reply to her "Just like that, what would i do with out you! Just perfect!" I take the bowl and put them in a pan with a little marge. Scramble them and serve.

I think like everything we do in our lives, our children want to mimic and participate. It's sometimes the simple things that we do in the kitchen that teach our kids. And well I have to say that, she never leaves a crumb of eggs when she's helped prepare them.

At least scrambled eggs is not as messy as when she helps me make the pancake batter!

No comments: